Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Colleens Life History - 2: Early 1940's

Special Note:  This is the 2nd installment of Mom's life history.  Please read installments 1, and 3-6 by going to the previous posts lists.

Early 1940's in Soda Springs, Idaho.

One summer the Ozburns invited me to go with Betty and to Yellowstone Park. Mr. Ozburn put a canvas cover over his big truck and there were two beds on it. We headed for the east entrance to the park leaving their farm north of town on the side road which led to Bancroft. The road was extremely washboardy. Betty, Harry Dean and I were riding in the back of the truck. We were all sitting on the big bed. Harry finally grabbed onto the headboard bouncing up and down with a terrible gait. Little by little he bounced right off from the bed still clinging to the metal headboard. We were laughing so hard and it was really funny. I remember there was the old white chamber under the bed along with the groceries. They were so good to me and Betty and I were very close friends. (Pictures)Mr. and Mrs. Ozburn are both dead now and Harry Dean runs the farm north of Soda. He and his wife Connie are at least four years younger than I and Connie was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. Connie led us in kneeling prayer at Relief Society. meetings. She was a lovely person.

The Ozburns introduced me to Mr. and Mrs. Tolman, who had a farm east of the Ozburns. About 1939 when I was an eighth grader, the Tolmans hired me to work for them during the summer. I did help in the house some, but mostly I kept the sheep out of the alfalfa fields. I stayed with them during the week and spent the weekends at home. I spent the first $5.00 I earned on a lovely red, crepe, dress with a white collar and cuffs for Mother. We had the local photographer (who could not speak nor hear) come to the house and take Mother's picture in the dress. I played and sang "Danny Boy" as the man was taking her picture. She had such a beautiful expression on her face; it vas very natural and the way I remember her as when I was a youngster.

Mother, Margie and I moved into the little house at the Brigham Young Lodge and we were living there the year I graduated from High School in 1943. There were a number of cabins along with east side of the property (located on-Highway 30); in them were small stoves (we had to keep kindling and coal in each) and a bathroom and shower for the men; bathroom and shower for ladies. There were two modern apartments on the south part of the property with the managers little house on the SE corner in front of one of the two huge trees that were on the place. The lawn was in front of all the housing and it was fun for Mother and I to work together and mow it with old fashioned push mowers. Between our house and the two apartments was a little log cabin that had been built by Brigham Young; we kept the wood in there and the linen, the lawn mower, etc. I loved working with mother as we cleaned the cabins and changed the linen; everything seemed to be done so easy and was orderly and clean. Oh, how very precious were those years. Harry Richards, owner, and his wife lived across the highway in an apartment attached to their service station business. Mrs. Richards was a sister to Aaron Ozburn, Betty's father.

One time when we were there at B.Y.L. mother prepared lemon pie and hamburgers for me and my friends for a house party. I remember so well playing spin the bottle then. We girls had written things to do on little pieces of paper and put then in a milk bottle. (glass quart sizes like we used when we had the dairy years earlier) Bob Somsen was destined to have the pointer of the bottle stop right in front of him. (He was one of my most loyal boyfriends for years). His paper read: "Imitate a lady taking a bath." Bob took every item off one at a time, that a lady wears. It was so plain and funny; but the funniest part of all was his shimmying out of the-girdle tugging, twisting pulling moaning. Of course he had none of these things on so he left his clothes on as he went through the "make believe" motions of removing then bathing and putting them on. When it came time for the girdle he pulled, twisted, wiggled shimmied. It was a scream. As I type this., I realize that I had not thought about this for years. No cook cooks as well as mother in my opinion and today at 83 she still has the art. How well I remember how we young folks devoured the hamburgers and lemon pie, and how very good they tasted.

DeVerl Stevens (Curly) from Montpelier came to see me while we were at B.Y.L. It was the last time I ever saw him. He married shortly afterwards and soon was killed in the second world war overseas.

Throughout my high school years music and English grammar were my favorite subjects. I was the secretary of the Pep Club. Mr. Lowe was our principal; I thought a lot of him.

1941 early Fall Mother decided to spend a year in San Francisco where sister Margie was living. Margie never had robust health and was not one to write very often. Driving her green coupe dodge Mother drove us to Boise, Idaho on along the Columbia River and down the west coast of California to San Francisco. I remember we came upon a serious automobile wreck; blood was evident, and it made us both feel ill. In Portland we stayed with friends who had been in Soda Springs and had invited us to come to their home. At one point along the river I saw a sign "Light House" with an arrow to turn right. I persuaded Mother to take the road so we could see the light house. We had not gone very far when we were both holding our breath and wishing that we had not taken that road. The road was very narrow and the bank dropped steeply down the left side to the river. Mother said after she had turned around and reached the main road again, "I'll never let you persuade me to take another road off from the high way again."

When we first saw the Blue Spruce Mt. Forest it was beautiful. And I will never forget the scene when we came up over a hill and there was the majestic Pacific Ocean. Later we spent many hours near the waters edge in San Francisco.

It seemed that every block had a pub on it where liquor could be bought. It was interesting to find that there were numerous military camps: marine; Navy; Merchant Marine; and Army bases. Don't remember how we met some of Uncle Sam's boys but think it was through Margie and her friend Lucille. Mother had located a position managing the San Carlos Hotel on Geary St. It was six stories with ten rooms on each floor and in the basement there was a small baby grand piano and a game room; also, a kitchen in the basement Margie had a friend, Lucille Lynch (If I remember the name correctly), and they each had a boyfriend: Margie Clarence "Cameron"; Lucille, "Harold Sweigart'" (who was later killed in an overseas battle of some kind.) They introduced me to Art Rollins and I dated him. These fellows came often for dinner, or just to visit and play pool. They found our home in the hotel refreshing. On every corner there seemed to be a bar and much drunkenness. Golden Gate Park and all its magnificence is where Art and I went frequently. The little pups in Cameron's pocket were a delight to us all. The black and white dog, Skipper, became mother’s pal and companion for a while after she returned to Soda Springs before school was out for me in San Francisco I remember going out to the Presidio, the army hospital where Art was on the medical team, on a holiday and spending some time with Art.

My dog Skipper (cdh0115)
A teenager from a small town in Idaho going into a High School of 2,000 found circumstances ripe for getting "Home-sick" which I did. However I loved walking in the fog and did so often. Martina was my best friend and I feel sad that we have lost track of each other.

Mother really loved Abrasha Brodsky, a white Russian former champion foot racer in New' York (I believe it was), but of greater importance to Mother and I, he was a concert pianist. He played an entire concert for Mother. I did not make a point of requesting to hear it. Why, I don’t know. I loved this man; he taught me to love music; and he made me feel important. He looked like pictures of Beethoven, except his countenance was of a loving nature. His daughter, Beebe went to a catholic school. (Her mother had died, or left them, I do not remember which) Beebee spent a lot of time with us too.

Clarence Cameron & Pups (CDH0047)
Commerce High had a vocal group but to become part of it one had to audition. "Lullaby" by Brahms was my choice and I made it. I remember a pretty well shaped black girl and that she had a tremendously beautiful singing voice. An advantage we had in the vocal class was ushering in the Opera House. it was great to see concert artists and famous movie stars perform; Heifetz (sp?) the world's greatest violinist was one of the guest artists; also, Helen Traubel, contralto.

Mother had two maids to help with the cleaning. When they did not make it, she and I did the work. People who stayed there were interesting. One man was a Captain of a ship and gave us lovely menus that had been on his ship. A couple from New York were there most of the time we were. They wanted me to go back to New York with them and be a companion to their daughter. But I had overcome my homesickness and was anxious to return to Soda Springs to my friends and graduate with them from High School 1943 in May. So I thanked them for their kindness but declined their offer to move to New York with them.

The Sons of the Pioneers were a famous musical group and did many recordings. Aunt Lillis especially liked them. Margie took me to a Cafe where they were playing. I liked that, too. They were friends of Margie’s.

It was really great to be able to do some things with my sister. She was not very well. It was hard to leave her in San Francisco when we returned to Idaho.

A man came into the lobby one night and went upstairs, not a guest. Mother sent me up to check on him. It was scary. he came down without any trouble. I can still remember the almost darkness on each floor as I looked for him.

If you want to have some fun with your dog, put a large tablespoon of peanut butter in his mouth on his tongue. I did that to poor little skipper. One meal time Mother had her dinner on her plate and had to run upstairs to wait on someone. She came back to the kitchen Skipper had eaten all her dinner, climbed into his box and was looking up at her with a guilty look on his dog face when she found him. He was a smart little dog. He learned to sit up and do other tricks.

It was always such a joy to work with Mother. We could cover a lot of ground together. It seemed that we were according to today's jargon "In Sync." Oh the depth of my love for her, honor, respect and absolute trust was so easy for me to give her. Many people have envied our relationship all through the years. Benda Burton who came into my life after 1944 one said, "I wish I could go somewhere and come back with what you bring back from your Mother's."'

One Sunday when we came out of the white church house we received the news that Japan had attacked Pearl Harbor and many were killed. I remember so well the heavy yet empty feeling I had when hearing the news. In my little 5 yr. diary I recorded different events. For example: "President Roosevelt declared War on Japan." Oh it was terrible. In one San Francisco paper there appeared a song, piano accompaniment and all, "Let's Remember Pearl Harbor." I still have that sheet from the fateful year and headlines etc. Details of some encounters.

From somewhere came the report "Japan will likely attack SAN FRANCISCO”, so we had the well known "Blackout". No light was to be seen from the skies or anywhere. Quilts and blankets were taped to the windows and doors. It was scary, also. Grandma Tippets and Grandpa, too, were worried about us and thought we should come home. We did later.

One of the places we went to and now it is so different than it was in the 1940 was Fisherman's Wharf. We walked on board walks from one shop or place. I remember eating a pile of small shrimp that made a mountain on my plate. Breaking them open one at a time and eating them, I remember how delicious they were.

Oh! Not to mention Golden Gate Park would be foolish. Art and I spent a lot of time basking in its beauty.

Just one or two doors from the High School, and next door to the Opera House (if I remember correctly) was the building with similar construction to the Opera House and where the United Nations was organized while we lived in San Francisco.

There was a zoo at the far west end of the Golden Gate Park, and an amusement park where there were all-kind of rides and food to eat. We were there a number of times.

Mother saw to it that life was interesting; we drove all ever the area on her day off. Some of the things I remember wzere: Twin Peaks, Fisherman's, the Golden Gate Bridge the Oakland Bay bridge and Oakland. We attended concerts; probably the ones I was an usher for.

By January I was well acquainted with the other students, dating, and had grown used to the large city; I loved walking in the fog. Having more fun, my grades dropped down. My sister Margie worked at a small cafe; how good the food tasted that she gave me. She was a very loving, lovely lady.

By May Mother was making plans to return to Soda Springs and take care of the yard work on our property on first north street, about 300 blocks east. She made arrangements for me to work for a dentist, Dr. Smith, his wife and one son, helping in their home part time until my school year was completed. They had a nice home and did a lot of entertaining; for example at dinner one night I had to light the liquor drinks with a match in the kitchen and serve them while they were flaming. Mrs. Smith was a very proper lady, and saw to it that I served the guests and family properly at the table. My work was general housework. I was glad to leave the Dr.'s home, although the son younger than I was nice.

Before telling about my leaving San Francisco, I must mention a bit more about the San Carlos. It was six stories with ten rooms on each for guests. One of our two maids was Jauanita and Gus was our Filipino houseman. Gus sang all the time; two of his songs were Amapola and South of the Border.

There was a switchboard in the office and I helped Mother serving guests and assisting them to their rooms; running the switchboard and answering the telephone.

The Home With Beautiful Flowers etc. in 1943 (CDH0045)
When the time was up I was happy to take the ferry from San Francisco to Oakland and the train from there to Soda Springs. I remember how sad I felt when leaving San Francisco and wished I had stayed longer to see more of my sister and the city. When arriving home Mother had the yard in beautiful condition, although it was too early for Soda Springs for all the flowers to be up and the vegetables garden yield matured. I was surprised how tall my favorite Soda Springs beau, Vaughan Smith, had grown; it was summertime and 1942, I was 17.

The Backyard at the same time (CDH0046)
Mother had a great capacity for enjoying living and took many with her in her pleasures. Also, Mother always reached out to the disadvantaged in some way and provided them with pleasures and help where needed. Mother was a second generation Care Giver, with Grandma Tippets caring for others who had babies, or the flu. I became a care giver later. And now we have a 4th generation Care Giver in the Layland Clan, for our baby daughter Melinda Sue has worked in the emergency room. as an emergency medical technician (EMT) on ambulances ,was a worker in the lab at the hospital, and is May 1997 earned her Registered Nurse. Degree. Also, Rex's Mother, Meletha Chat Vias did a lot of Care Giving.

By this time Betty Rae Bush and I had become friends. Her mother died when she was small and she spent much of her time with her Aunt Chat Vias of Wayan. I had spent several nights and days with Betty at Wayan, going to dances etc. It was then I met her cousin,-Rex Vias (who later took his real names Rex Layland).

May 1943 High School graduation.

Graduation night was very special. How clear are the memories of my friends and the night of graduation in the then High School Auditorium. We graduates sat on the stage of the high school (now it is used for a junior high school) in a semi-circle. I remember looking at each one that I knew so well (all of them and us), with love and sadness, knowing that we might never all be together again. It was in May of 1943 and some of the class members, young men, had been called to military duty due to World War II with President Franklin D. Roosevelt declaring war on Japan after they attacked Pearl Harbor. This took place while Mother and I were still in San Francisco. A few of lost their lives or were lost in action and never found. Glen Perkins and his older brother, Pinky Woody and his older brother, and Keith Lallatin did not return.

Especially one friend I remember and what she wore. Betty Rae Bush wore a white dress; her hair was almost black it was so dark. The guest speaker was an executive in the Boy Scout Program. It seems that he was from Pocatello, Idaho, sixty miles to the west from Soda Springs. The theme of his speech was: "If you want to be happy the best way you will find happiness is: “TO SERVE OTHERS”.

Our beloved grandpa, Jedediah Morgan Tippets, Mother's father died in June of 1943. 1 can still see my Grandma dressed in a black coat sitting and looking so sad at his funeral. Grandpa was a kind man, very deep, and quiet in his way.

All through my years at home with Mother she saw to it that I went to Sunday School and Primary. I gave many talks (2 & 1/2 minutes) in Sunday School; Mother taught me well how to speak clearly, talk slow enough and to memorize thoroughly by repetition. I used to walk around and around the round kitchen table as I memorized, speaking out loud. Much praise came my way for the talks I gave. One would think that Mother was a trained speech director. One talk I gave was by memory and the complete chapter in Luke which tells of the Savior’s birth. Mother wore out several bibles. The open bible was something that I saw every day. She lived and lives still by the scriptures; having many memorized. She has never been a good sleeper; and as a girl I remember her working from early morning to late at night. The home was kept beautiful and clean, the garden, flowers and lawn was kept up. How she ever managed to do .so much is a mystery to me. She has been richly blessed with energy and the divine ability to organize, love and serve. Clark Burriss, our beloved friend mentioned earlier in this history once said: "It is unfair to compare any other woman with Edith; any man as well.'; Many compliments came my way for being such a good helper and loyal to my Mother. (I could and should have been more loyal and helpful to my dear Dad.)

Mother told me that she would pay for me to go on a mission or one year of college. I was not extremely spiritual or desirous of going on a mission (as I was many years later) so I chose the year of college. Being influenced by a woman representing Colorado Women's College in Denver, -who visited the High School and talked with we girls I chose that institution and arrangements were made.


Betty Rae Bush, High School
Graduation, 1943 (CDH0149)
We were living in the house at Brigham Young Lodge that summer. We had such a fun party with friends from Soda Springs and Grays Lake attending. Mother served luscious hamburgers and lemon pie. The thing that stands out in my mind about that party was the game we played: Spin The Bottle. We had written ridiculous things that one could do on small pieces of paper and put them in a quart canning jar. Bob Somsen drew, after the bottle was spun and it stopped facing him, "Imitate a woman taking a bath." He was so funny going through the maneuvers. The woman he was imitating wore a girdle and he wiggled out of it with difficulty twisting and pulling with all his might. Each piece of clothing was kept in mind. He washed himself, dried himself, and then went through the strange maneuvers to get everything back on; especially the girdle.

 Often I would spend the weekend with Betty Rae at her Aunt Chat's home in Wayan, which was the south part of the Gray's Lake Valley. One of the things that I looked forward to almost every week was the dances at the Wayan school. I dated Merle Cellan-once in awhile, and Rex Layland. As Betty and I readied ourselves for the dance we sat at the pretty little dresser with a mirror to do our hair and make-up; we peered around a coal oil lamp (kerosene) lamp; Grays Lake did not have electricity yet back then. We had lots of fun together. The Saturday night dances were great! My how we did dance and enjoy ourselves and each other. All we had for music was the old fashioned Juke Box. Don't remember if we had to put dimes in it to have music or not. Ray Reese and Farrell Stoor were so much fun to dance with. I remember one time Enid Tingey was dancing (maybe with Max Weaver) and was wearing a skirt with an elastic waist. Folks started laughing hilariously. Lo and behold, Enid's skirt had fallen to the floor.

Betty Rae's mother died back east somewhere when she was a small child and she came to make her home with Aunt Chat and Uncle Isaac Vias, Chat’s son Rex Layland, and Chat's father, Grandpa Dray. Glen Bush, her father, had remarried a woman whose first name was Flora, I believe. The Bushes lived in Soda Springs some years during that time. Betty had a delightful personality, was very popular, was fair with almost black hair and a lot of fun.

The Vias home was a two story home with steep stairs to the upper rooms which consisted of three bedrooms, a hall, and an attic with all kinds of interesting things in it, some very old. Betty had her own room with lovely wooden furniture that Uncle Isaac had made and painted for her. There was no electricity, running water and bathrooms in the house.

Now, a little more about the house where so many people felt at home due to Chat's marvelous warm, loving and friendly personality and big generous heart and Isaac’s patience. How she was loved. (Years later her funeral was attended by more people by far than the average attendance. People came from long distances as well as the Caribou County, Idaho area.) The kitchen was large with geraniums in the double kitchen window., Chat and Isaac shared the only bedroom on that floor. There was as a spacious long pantry where large shallow pans of milk cooled and cream settled on the top for cereal and luscious shortcakes, mostly strawberry. A back room was used for washing clothes, baths, saddle repairs, etc., and Isaac's shoe repair equipment.

Before finishing the description of the house two incidents took place in that back room some years later that I want to share now: The bath tub was the proverbial round, deep metal tub. One day Betty Rae was taking a bath and had just stood up when Isaac came into the room. Instead of squatting back down into the tub Betty panicked and just stood there waving her hands up and down. What was extremely funny was Uncle Isaac imitating her flapping his hands up and down.

The second incident happened a number of years later after Rex and I had two children, Mary Lee and Monna Jean. When Monna was about three and a half years old. A little potty was kept in the back room for the little grandchildren's bathroom needs. We were all at the table, Monna said she had to go potty. I told her to go, that she knew where it was. Everyone else was eating dinner in the kitchen. After a brief time Monna called, "Mother, come and wipe me." I said, "Can't you wipe yourself?" Her response was, "No! I'll get it on my whingah".

The big old fashioned black kitchen stove had a water reservoir-on one side. On the top was a warming oven. Grandpa sat near the right side of the stove in his rocking chair smoking his pipe. (Isaac also smoked a pipe.) He sat there hour after hour. At the side of the stove was the big wooden box. It was Grandpa's job to keep wood chopped and the box filled, and to keep the two metal buckets full of fresh water from the hand water pump outside. Oh! So many memories and details come flooding back to me as I write. An old fashioned dipper hung on a nail near the cupboard that held the water buckets. Betty and I learned a song from Aunt Chat (who later become my second Mother) "An Old Fashioned Dipper". Here are the words:

"The Old Fashioned Dipper"
There's an old fashioned dipper that hangs on a nail
In an old fashioned farmhouse and near it a pail.
There's an old fashioned lady in an old fashioned gown,
Who would oft tines at even’ take the old dipper down.
Then she'd warn us of gold and of greed that destroy
How they rob human hearts of all comfort-and JOY.
Now the wisdom of this maxim in life 'twill never fail:
Be contented with a dipper on a nail.

Oh! How precious was my Mother-in law!. So like the woman in the song. One day she fell and made not a sound. I didn't know if she was dead or alive. We drove so very fast to Soda Springs to the hospital, and I attempted to hold her on my lap. What a relief it was later to find out that the sugar level in her system had malfunctioned and proper treatment and care soon brought her into a normal and safe state. She used to get so tired of having to give herself a shot of insulin every day. She did develop a bad heart condition which may have brought on her death in April, 1955. As I washed her precious body to get her ready for the undertaker, I realized how special she was and how much I loved her. She had been so patient with me. I made a promise to her at that time and still I am trying to keep it. She was appreciated by the multitudes and loved by them.

Well, we are still in the kitchen. Near the much used outside door to the kitchen stood an old fashioned wash stand with the rather- small wash pan and soap, where hands were washed at meal time. A mirror hung on the wall above it. Isaac shaved with a straight edge razor, and the knife was always sharpened with the leather razor strap nearby. The strap was also used sparingly on bottoms of very naughty children. The old fashioned shaving mugs were in use by both Isaac and Grandpa Dray. Above the door to the front room, and also to the bedroom, was a shelf about six to eight inches deep and above it was a small window. Now for something humorous again that happened some years after 1943. Rex's foster brother Buster.(his real name was Frank Stoor) and I were the only ones home, all the rest-of the-family had gone to town or somewhere. We had so much fun that night. The old somewhat rickety table had four legs as ordinary tables and one-in the middle. In playing a game we managed to get one of the legs out of whatever held it in place and we had a dickens of a time getting it together correctly again. Buster decided to show off. He went over to the front room door way, reached up and got a good hold on the shelf above the open door. Then he commenced to do his tricks. With his bottom-end facing me while he hung there I discovered he had a hole in the seat of his pants. When I began laughing he asked me what I was laughing at. When I told him he quickly jumped down.

Many of you who read this may be familiar with the song" This Old House". It certainly might apply, at least in part, to this dear old house of which I write.

Isaac Vias had three sons: Oscar married Verda Tingey; Roy married Wilda Walton, Alfred never married. We shared many wonderful family meals together.

It would be a shame not to mention my first impression when Rex and I first met. Betty had told me about her cousin, Rex, but I had been in the Vias home a number of times and had not yet met him. It was during the haying season on a summer day when two or more men came into the kitchen from the back door. I was standing near the door and washstand in the kitchen. Really, I was only conscious of the one with broad shoulders and the fact that he was at least six feet tall. He came in door and I saw: 'Broad shoulders, a man 6 ft. tall'. Later Rex told me that he saw: "My blue eyes and how neat I was". Now as I write Jan. 23, 1997 tears fall and I realize-how much I loved him. He loved his family and we were the most important thing in his life to him. In fact, all those dear people who were family were very precious to me.

Rex lost his father when he was 7 months old from the horrible flu epidemic in the Raymond, Wyoming area. Mother Chat loved him and reported that it would have been easier to lay her baby Rex away than her beloved Frank. She often told the story of how she lost her love, her memory seemed to be as fresh to her and her love for him until the day she died as the day she lost him.

Fall of 1943

Summertime and its many joys had ended and I prepared to go to College. I chose Colorado Women's College on Poplar St. in Denver, Colorado. From the description the representative from CWC gave I expected attending that college to transform me from an abnormal person magically into a normal gal emotionally and every other magic way. The closeness of my class those years in Soda Springs schools and our decisions now would cause us to drift -apart and I felt sad about that as we all made choices to go different ways.

However there are a couple of things that had happened in the summer that merit being mentioned now. After one of the popular summer dances in the Wayan gym Rex's car (actually Isaac and Chat's car) was parked facing the fence on the southwest side of the school yard. Rex and I were sitting alone in the front-seat of the car. The moon was full and very bright that night. Stars were shining, too, but I remember the big bright moon the best. For sure it was a romantic moon that night. That is when this 6 foot brown eyed, gentle, soft spoken man proposed to me. I felt overcome. I was hesitant and told him that I would give him an answer later. Little did I realize then what a man commits himself to ---- by asking a lady to marry him. There is so much responsibility when a man takes on the care of a wife anal children. Now that I'm 72 and have been widowed twice and Rex has been gone 12 years. I do look back and wish I had been a more loving, attentive caring, supportive and doting wife. His life was so simple, old fashioned and genuine. And wish that I had learned by 1943 that to live happily is to serve others and die to one's self. It has taken an Evangelical Preacher and the philosophy of his church to teach me that last part mentioned. I've learned Christ wants us to acknowledge our weakness and rely on Him. Oh the peace of mind and quiet inner joy that can come to one who has learned these truths. I've even wondered if I had known years ago what I've learned in the 1990s if Rex might have had better health and lived longer.

The 2nd thing I wish to write now is-:- "I hadn't suffered from prejudice and "The Small Town Syndrome" yet in 1943 nor the trouble not only for me but for the family that took place a number of years later. Oh the stigma!"

The scriptures say that there is no room in the church for gossip nor for prejudice. Here I refer to the world wide body of Christ. It would please me if all of my children, their spouses and children made a habit of being like Mother, Edith Hayes, who lived by what she taught me: "If you can't say something good about a person don't say anything."

Let's pray for each other to remember and follow this admonition. Grandma Hayes said something else to all the grandchildren: "Stay faithful to the Gospel." Another trait she had, "Soft Spoken".

I don't know if it was mentioned earlier in my writing or not, but will assume that it was not. When I was eight years old Mother and Daddy had a divorce. How well I remember the uncomfortable feeling I had in the court room. (And every time I have looked into the room in the Court House in Soda Springs). I remember saying something negative to the court about my daddy. I didn't feel good about it then and I've felt more negatively about it since. I remember Daddy's expression on his face as he looked down at the floor when I made the comment.

Mother made out better than Daddy did following the divorce. Memories now going back some years. How I loved to ride with Daddy in one of his big trucks. Even though it was during the depression we were affluent. Sometimes Daddy traveled trucking at night. I remember riding on big sacks of wool or metal machinery wheels etc. We often stayed at Aunt Lou's and Uncle Whaley's in Perry, Utah. one time in Fred's Cafe in Ogden Daddy had me get up on the counter and tap-dance for the folks there which embarrassed me.

Two of the greatest sins of omission that I have on my record in heaven are not doing much more for Rex as his wife, and not doing more as daughter for my Daddy. I have shed a lot of tears over these two situations. It also effected lives of my children negatively compared to what it might have been. There could have been so much more joy for all. I'm hoping that those who believe families will be together in Heaven are right. I guess there is at least one more sin of omission. After Daddy's and Mother's divorce Daddy married Mildred Jensen. She and Daddy had Richard who died a tragic death when about 17 years of age. I was ashamed of the divorce and let if effect my relationship with Richard (Richie). Mildred's daughter died a horrible death from cancer and Daddy and Mildred had a divorce. Richard did not have the spiritual emotional strength he needed to endure that much trouble in the home. My regret: "Maybe if I had made sure Richie knew I loved him, that God Loved him, and that God would help him endure and come out OK-with frequent letters from me-maybe he would not have taken his life. "God, help me with my sorrows." "Colleen, I expect you to forgive yourself as well as forgive others." Honor your father and your Mother that your days may be long upon the earth which the Lord God, giveth you."

Monsanto Chemical Co. was a relatively new phosphate Co. Betty Rae was hired as the plant manager's private secretary. She was going with Don Peterson, Arthur's son, Caribou County Forest Ranger, if my memory serves me correctly. It was located in Soda Springs, Idaho, my home town.

CONTINUED


No comments:

Post a Comment