Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Colleen's Life History - 6: Life After Rex

Theodore L. Weeks

Both Mrs. Miller and Grace Wallace were dead. Mother had a lovely young Spanish girl help with here care, as was I. Mother and I had hoped that we could find a patient to care for in her home but we did not succeed. Someone told me about a man who had lost a leg in an accident that needed someone to help in the home. After making an appointment by phone I drove to his home in Lewiston. He was kind, generous and lonely since his wife Alice died.

Rex had been dead for almost four years. I did not feel confident about making it in life without a companion and helpmate. Later I realized that my mother was available and would have been the best companion and helpmate that I could have. Eventually T. L. and I were married in the Lewiston Relief Society room at the LDS Church just a stones throw from T. L.’s home. He rode to Soda Springs and Grace with me and other family members. What a nice surprise it was to learn that he had a very good singing voice. He also played the harmonica. Sometimes Mother and he played together. I remember so well the contentment I felt playing the organ while he laid on the couch playing the harmonica with me. Before marrying me he promised that he would attend church meetings and go to the temple with me.

T. L. was one of the oldest boys born to his poor farm parents. He told me how he and a brother worked all day every day chopping and hauling wood from a canyon in order to keep the family warm during the winter.

His one son questioned my mentality. The son had information from Richmond, Utah which came through Mother’s bishop. T. L. defended me wonderfully.

T L. had been a very hard worker from boyhood. He learned to save his money. He knew how to discipline himself so he could save. After he died I was amazed at the total value of his holdings in land, water rights, buildings, livestock, bonds, savings and the balance in his checkbook. He paid one debt I had of $3,000. Before I married him I had a good job in Ogden during the weekdays. I wanted to keep my job. The couple said that T. L. could be with me in Ogden and we could be on the farm weekends. T. L. insisted that I quit and stay home, that he would help me pay off debts I had acquired. I accommodated his wishes. His oldest son was furious because his Father had paid the $3,000 for me.

Mother knew that I had committed myself to "Be There" when she was old and needed me. She was not pleased. If I remember correctly she did not want to come and did not come to our weeding in January of 1989. T. L. had been quite a horseman. We drove out in the field one day where his favorite horse was grazing. He spoke to the horse with so much love. They had spent a lot of time together before T. L.’s accident. The hardware that had been in his leg after surgery was very large with long screws. T. L. felt that it was the Dr.’s fault that his leg did not heal and had to be amputated.

T. L.’s youngest son Merlin ran the dairy. He and his family were all very hard workers. They raised pure bred Holstein cows, corn, alfalfa, and wheat. The cows were well fed and fat.

In T. L.’s kitchen was an old fashioned stove that burned chopped wood and coal. He was very proud of it and took good care of it. In the front room was a gas heater. There were no other sources to heat the house. It was a cold time of year that January of 1989 when we were married. All five of my children were there and Monna brought her younger children. One day when it was 40 degrees below zero the California kids were out playing in the snow, including Monna. She loved the snow and missed it since they didn’t have any snow in Wheatland, California where the Lienemanns lived. At our wedding there came from Wayan several couples. I believe they were Glade and Liz Sibbett, Benda and Lyle Burton, Doris and Reed Humphreys. Frank led us all in a couple of songs, and Monna did a humorous song.

We visited Mother in the nursing home in Logan and she visited us on the farm some as well. One of the things we both enjoyed was driving to the fields of tomatoes and other fruits and vegetables. He had one daughter, LaFaye Daley, who lived closer to Preston but on the farm.

Marilyn Creger and I were close friends. Several other ladies were friendly. Am sorry I do not remember names better. The bishop’s mother-in-law was east of us about ¼ mile. She was a jewel sharing vegetables from her garden with us. I’ll always remember Marilyn’s listening, loving personality. Also, she helped adjust a Christmas tree for me by getting under it and lifting it up, over and down into a tub of water. It was so funny.

One evening when I was at Mother’s for a few hours, T. L. was alone and down on the hallway floor where he had worked on a pipe by removing the lower drawer. I do not know if his leg had been bothering him a great deal or not. He could not get up. (Every night when he said his prayers he asked God to bless all those in the world that had pain. He must have had pain all the time from the amputation but he seldom said anything about it.) We met with a small group regularly for a Bible study which we both enjoyed. It was at one of those first meetings that the oldest son, Clark, learned that his Dad sang. Apparently T. L. sang only when on the plow or outdoors where people could not hear him. T. L. sang a clever song one evening. I used to know it but not now. The song was about a robber that climbed in through an old maid’s window and scooted under the bed. When she came in she had no idea there was anyone in the room with her. The robber climbed out from under the bed and was a total wreck. The old maid grabbed him by the neck and said, "Thank God I’ve got a man." From under the pillow she drew a revolver and to that burglar said, "If you don’t marry me sir, I’ll blow off the top of your head." The burglar looked around the room and saw not place to scoot. He sized up her teeth and her bum glass eye and said, "for ……sakes shoot."

My five children, especially Frank I think, seemed so happy that I was marrying T. L. He was a Mormon like all of us are, he lived on a farm and would take care of his mother. They knew that they would always be welcome in the Weeks home.

Back to the evening that T. L. was on the floor and could not get up. Clark and Merlin helped him up and called the Dr. who told them to bring T. L. in to the emergency room in the Logan Regional Hospital, which they did. They could not remember Mother’s last name nor where she lived in Logan. She was sharing an apartment by then with Ruth Tippetts, Aunt Laverne’s daughter. Aunt Laverne died in the nursing home across the street from the hospital in 1987. The Dr. told them that they would have to get T. L. to a Salt Lake City hospital within a few hours. Someone finally located me and took me to Salt Lake. The staff there did not seem to be concerned and were slow operating. T. L. had an aneurysm all up and down his good leg. The Dr. told T. L. that they would have to amputate his leg or it would kill him. T. L. said "No, if you take off my good leg it will kill me." He died a few days later in the same nursing home that Grace Wallace and Aunt Laverne died in.

Why didn’t his children or T. L. tell me that he had an aneurysm in his good leg and that the Dr. had told him when his leg was amputated to be sure and take care of it. I had no idea about it until it was too late.

Mother spent a lot of time with me at the farm. In fact she lived with me. I remember the moon, the trees, clouds we watched from the window in the southeast corner of the front room and how good the heater made us feel.

Cousin Ruth moved to Boise to live with her son Stephen and his family. What a void Mother and I felt from Aunt Laverne being gone to heaven and Ruth moving to Boise.

Although T. L. had a contract written up allowing me to live in the home (and use the garage according to my attorney) I could not endure the conflict with Merlin but mostly his wife. She would come busting into my home without knocking and yell at me that I couldn’t use the garage. That all of this is "Our Property". Anxiety seemed to multiply. I was made to feel like some kind of ogre and was the source of causing trouble. Mother and I drove to Evanston where Sue and family lived and where subsidized housing was very nice and inexpensive. In October I agreed to give up my right to the home if the three children of T. L.’s would move me. They did and I did. After they unloaded everything into the apartment at 364 Haw Patch Lane, I made sure they each heard me say thank you. Only LaFaye said, "Your Welcome". She is the one I mailed T. L.’s Memorial Book to.

Before moving to Evanston, Wyoming, Mother and I lived at the "Old Rock Retirement Home" in Providence, Utah for a short time. We had worked out a budget which included my working part time to help pay expenses for the accommodation. Mother loved it there. It was her style for sure. My right leg began bothering me and became so painful that I could not possibly climb the stairs. We had to leave and Evanston was our choice. We had found nothing as nice in the Logan area nor Soda Springs that was as nice and inexpensive. An orthopedic surgeon told me that my leg x-ray made him concerned and to be sure and have a sample taken from it right away. After we moved to Evanston my leg was better, stopped hurting completely and I forgot about it. It is fine today in November of 1997.

It seemed so good to have everything we own in one apartment. The piano and organ we put back to back in the front room. It took a while to get everything in order. In fact, we had to store some of it for a while. Mother and I enjoyed my playing the piano and organ. We also enjoyed reading her poems and letters. Her eyes were so bad and she grieved because she could not read any longer. It was a joy to read to her, write letters for her and share scriptures with her. We were so comfortable with each other and loved each other so much. That does not mean we never disagreed. After she left me some of her pen pals became my pen pals." Gil Sheridan and Norman Muller. Giving Men.

Before leaving Utah for Wyoming I had been interested in meeting and perhaps dating a Christian Single fellow and had joined the Christian Singles with home office in Van Nuys, California. Each month about six or more sheets the length of legal sheets and wider came with information about men. I read about one retired Reverend G. E. Pedersen who was C&MA believer. The add stated that he was 86, lived in a small trailer and was interested in meeting a Christian single gal. I thought "He’s probably a grouchy old man who lives in a dirty trailer. I am not interested in him."

Fall 1991

Pastor Pedersen read my add but somehow missed the "LDS" for my religion. I learned that he was double extremely prejudiced against Mormons and the Mormon Church. He wrote to me and sent his picture. Upon seeing the picture I thought, "Why, that’s Uncle Ted Pinckney come back from the dead." How our family loved Uncle Ted who died in 1987. The picture was of a person I believed would be a lot of fun, not a grouchy "old man". In the letter he asked me to call him which I did. He told me that he would like to have the privilege of taking me out on at least one date. I consented and we ate at J.B.s. When the meal was served I picked up my fork and was going to start eating. He reached over and took my hand. Or, I should say stopped my hand from going on up to my mouth and said the blessing on the food. Wow! That impressed me to see a person say the blessing in public and not be embarrassed. It was evident that here is a man who is an old fashioned gentleman, courteous and sincere. I was very definitely attracted to him. He asked if I would like to go to church with him and told me that congregation of the Evanston Alliance Church had been very good to him. They called him "Pastor".

Mother had stayed in Utah temporarily in the Nursing Home giving me time to put things in order.

At the Alliance Church I recognized a greater degree of worshipping, praising, singing joyfully and praying for others than I was familiar with in the LDS Church that I had attended all my life. How the people did love Pastor P. in that church. Especially Lonnie and Teresa Kennada; the Tom & Lana Richardson family; Lynda James and Susie; Kristie Woodward; Jana O’Leary and children; Todd and Kelly Hoover. Pastor Dan Wetzle and Iris, and the Eggletons; Alan Eggleton was the Assistant Pastor. Jeff, Ranee, Joshua, Nathaniel and Jonathan Gish were very generous with their home having all sorts of church folks for refreshments and potluck meals. They were among the many who moved away because of their work. Marianne Miller and granddaughter, Crystal, were among my special friends. Ann Watson and grandchildren Heather and Brandon lived in the other end of the duplex we were in. Virginia Cushman lived next door and along with Marianne later became the best friends I had in Evanston.

Pastor P. proposed marriage to me in April of 1992 and by then I knew I had fallen in love with this man that loved the Lord so much. There was a depth of worship on his part that was not ordinary. He also had a great sense of humor. One thing that he did that was a real surprise to me after we married; he did shout sometimes if he were very angry. Even if we had a disagreement over something he soon forgot all about it. No sulking or scolding. He had very good judgment and was stable as one could be. He was industrious and believed if something needed doing one should do it now. I debated back and forth in my mind regarding whether or not I should accept his proposal due to the differences in our religions I felt to marry him would put me at risk with my relationship with my children. As he showed me books written by Gerald and Sandra Tanner who left the Mormon Church I read them and wept, believing that the Mormon Church leaders were deceiving the members. Love is blind they say. I accepted his proposal and we were married September 19, 1992 in the Evanston Alliance Church on Wasatch in Evanston. Teresa Kenada was in charge of refreshments at our Reception after the marriage ceremony. Tracy Bell, a friend of Sues was in charge of the decorating with Sue helping. I think Sue paid about $100 for hats and ribbons. Pastor Dan Wetzle married us after talking with me before hand to be sure I loved the Lord. I’ll always remember walking down the aisle holding Elder John Webe’s arm. The Webes were the first ones to have Mother and I to dinner. To celebrate that event we all had our pictures taken together.

Not until five years later did I check out some claims made by the Tanners in their books. I spent several hours with a Seminary Teacher, Robert Kress late in October of 1997. He also gave me sheets to study. The New Testament contains references which verify that Mormon’s Godhead, and the verification that men and women can become Gods.

For Pastor P.’s and my honeymoon we attended the Christian and Missionary Alliance Church’s District Conference in Idaho Falls, Idaho. It was a special time and much loved and enjoyed by both of us. Harvey Towne is the Rocky Mountain District’s Superintendent and the General Church President was David Rambo. They were both there and we were privileged to hear them both speak. At one night’s meeting an announcement was made that surprised us:

"Some people like to celebrate their Anniversary by coming to District Conference. Will Alan and Patricia Eggleton please stand up." The did. Then came, "And some people like to spend their honeymoon at District Conference. Will G. E. Pedersen and Colleen please stand up." It brought tears to my eyes to be recognized by so many who all stood up and gave us a standing ovation.

What an agreeable trio Mother, Pastor and I made. We all loved sharing devotions each morning before breakfast reading the bible. Often my husband would explain more to us. Mother loved the Bible as I did, and of course Pastor was well versed in it having been trained for the ministry and serving for over 40 years in the Christian & Missionary Alliance Church. We all, each one, prayed afterwards, as we did before going to bed.

When we said the blessing on the food before each meal we held hands. Mother had so much power in her hands at age 96 that she hurt my fingers next to my ring finger. When I look at the chair she occupied at her place for meals it has a void about it. How I miss her! She was soft spoken, tactful and very seldom conflicting in nature. She lived what she taught: "If you can’t say something good about a person, don’t say anything.". Each time I go into her bedroom I feel her presence there.

I don’t ever remember feeling more relaxed and happy than I was from 1991 through 1994 when I was taking care of Mother and Pastor. I was doing all the little and bigger duties but it all seemed so super wonderful. One day Mother, I and Pastor went to the store for Pastors weekly supply of portable oxygen tanks. Mother and I waited in the car while he went in after the tanks. Pastor sat in the back as usual. When he came out and put the tanks in the car and shut the door. I thought he was in the car too and drove home. When we reached home I looked into the back seat and was dumbfounded - NO PASTOR P. "Where is Pastor?" I asked. Instantly I knew. I had left him back at the oxygen supply store. We turned around and went right back to get him. As I drove one minute I worried "Will he be angry?" and then I would laugh the next. When we arrived where he was waiting I was glad to see him smiling, laughing actually as was the clerk.

My husband has five living children; Robert, Esther, James, Helen, and Sam. Robert does not keep in touch with his father who has no idea where he is. James was in the navy during World War II. Esther is married to Emmett Barr and was an inspector for the state of California for many years. She is retired. Helen lives with hubby David Darby and son Mathew in Stockton, California. Sam with his wife Karen are career missionaries stationed in Quito, Ecuador. They, Esther & Emmett, Sam & Karen have spent time with us here in Evanston. Esther lives in Redwood City, California; Jimmie with Sylvia his wife lives in Winlock, Washington. I like what they do for Christmas. They do not give or send gifts but give to their church or other worthwhile cause. Esther, Helen and Sam are deeply spiritual.

In 1993 we flew to Anaheim, California for the General council of the world wide C&MA. It was awesome. We had a good start but Pastor P. became ill and spent most of the days in the hospital. One thing I couldn’t help but notice on the table where books and pamphlets were for sale, and that was that A. W. Tozey had written more than any other person. Later when I read some of his written work and heard the tapes of some of his sermons I understood why. He spent much of his lifetime seeking God. If I remember correctly, it was while in the hospital in Anaheim that my husband was told to have oxygen around the clock.

It was very nice to be able to meet Pastor’s daughter Helen and husband David Darby while in Anaheim.

Pastor’s eye sight is very poor and also his hearing. He is on oxygen 24 hours a day now. Everyone we speak to about our ages can hardly believe that he is 20 years older than I because he does not look it. He is a very dignified handsome looking man.

My blessed Mother at age 96, almost 97, had a terrible case of diarrhea. It had been my pleasure and blessing to have been taking care of Mother for 5 years. What a wonderful relationship we shared. It was Mother who first taught me to love the bible; to listen peacefully with deep joy as I recited memorized scriptures, loved and shared my piano and organ playing. She helped with groceries and always paid her tithing in those last years. We did everything we could think of to help her get over the diarrhea including what the doctor said to. My right shoulder was giving me lots of pain and we decided to take her to the hospital. She was laughing and talking and had a grip with her little hands that hurt my fingers as we took her to the hospital. That darned shoulder made me lose confidence in what I could do, I think.

On the Sunday before she passed away, all four of Mother’s granddaughters were with her in the hospital, as was I. She tried to die and we told her to go ahead and let Jesus take her to Heaven. She rallied. The Dr. wanted to have the liquid drained off her lungs. Mother was still insisting that she wanted to die so I told Dr. Adams not to put her through the miser of draining her lungs. A few days later when I asked if she wanted to die she shook her head "no". She had a dread of going to the Nursing Home, past and present. I knew she would have to go to the nursing home when I had shoulder surgery. I did not have her lungs drained and Mother died in mine and Sue’s presence. She was having trouble breathing, rather, it was heavy. I held her precious face between my hands and sang many of our favorite songs, for example "The Lord’s Prayer", "You Are a Wonderful Mother", "M O T H E R" and others. The nurses commented on how full of the spirit I was as I sang to her. Oh, for the tears! Although Mother was almost 97 she was strong. She did not need to die. If only I had told the Dr. to drain her lungs.

Mother so often said to me the last few years of her life, "How can I ever leave you?" We shared a love that was as deep as the ocean. Mother always went to church with me at the Evanston Alliance Church. How angry I have been with myself since she died because I didn’t take her to the Mormon Church at least once a month. She was proud to be a Mormon.

We attended the church family camp twice in the youth camp above Lander, Wyoming and in 1997 we enjoyed the family camp on Casper Mountain. After which we visited with Scott, Shari, Landon and Parker Blakely in their home in Glen Rock. The young couple said that a lesson my husband gave to young married couples saved their home. My husband became Scott’s mentor and Scott loved to do scriptures with Pastor.

One thing that I appreciated and admire about Pastor was the fact that he insisted that everything we have was to be "Ours" not your stuff and mine. My name was put on his savings account, etc.". He likes me to share everything with him including who calls on the phone and the message, etc.

Nothing brought me more joy and provided happiness for me more than activities and time with any or all of my five children and their families. Having Sue and her family near meant a great deal to me. It was par for the course to attend Nicolas’ band concerts and baseball games. He took guitar lessons from me for a number of months before Sue and the family moved to Rock Springs in 1997. She moved in order to complete her second year of Registered Nursing schooling. She was able to complete her first year of schooling here in Evanston but the second was in Rock Springs. Besides family dinners and fun, Sue did a lot for Mother, Pastor, and myself when there was a medical need. She was working at the hospital in the lab and emergency room and part of the EMT crews on the ambulance. She experienced some pretty awful sights and service.

Melinda and I enjoyed lots of fun times making cookies. She is pretty with her blue eyes and dainty feminine ways and Nicolas is handsome with his brown eyes and tall quiet charming way he has. He is so loyal to his mother and responsible. He spends his summers with his Dad, Henrik Talmark in Huntley, Montana, where Henrik has built up a construction company. I was glad to be available when Sue needed me. Now there are no children living where I do.

Some of my music pupils here: Tracy Harris son, Trevar; Gordon and Cristina’s daughter Aubrey; Melinda; Gavon and Kelsi Fergusen; Claudia Hartley; and especially gifted is Kayleen Chevez.

One time for a few hours Frank and Lesa were here with the family. We had a short visit and some time for a couple of games. The children had fun and I was so deeply pleased and grateful to have them here. My son’s presence was so uplifting to me. It was like a breath of fresh air lasting for several days.

Each time Mary and Josh come it has been so wonderful. Josh has grown into a fine young man and is a terrific tease. Last time Mary and I talked until 2 a.m.

Ann, Jake, Melia and Beau come every few months to see us. Like the other girls, she is interested in our welfare. Jake and Nic have been good buddies as have Melia and Melinda. Beau, almost 2, is called "the animal", a demolition crew of one.

None can be sweeter nor more Christ-like than Monna with Dray, Becky and Callie who come at least twice a year.

Peaches, apricots, tomatoes and apples I can each year and make jam.

Oh, the wonderful peace and contentment that I’ve known as G. E. Pedersen’s wife, housekeeper and cook as we read the Bible and have daily prayer each night.

No comments:

Post a Comment